Diego has arrived!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Not yet...

...but soon, we hope! Vinnie has taken to calling Baby C our "little no-show" because we are still awaiting his arrival. Trust me, we've heard all of the advice about bringing on labor. And I mean ALL of it! Our son is just going to have to let us know when he's ready.

We had an ultrasound today that showed a healthy amount of amniotic fluid, and identified the culprit of my "square stomach syndrome." The tech was able to get the camera right on the apendage in question as Baby C wiggled and it is a foot! We've been right all along.

We also had a non-stress test. I had two monitors on my belly, one for the baby's heart rate and one to measure any contractions I might be having. I was also given a clicker to use each time I felt a movement. After twenty minutes, we ended up with a sheet of paper that looks a lot like a something spit out by a seismograph. It indicated that the babyis healthy and there are no signs of fetal distress. There were, unfortunately, also no signs of contractions.

The bad news is that we are still waiting. The good news is that there has been some dilation, which is a change the doctor called "fantastic." The great news is that the baby is doing very well, and as a result we can "give the cervix some more time" as my doctor put it. Right now, I am only 3 days overdue, and Monday will mark only one week. It seems like longer when you are waiting for something so exciting, but we definitely still have time. Althought Dr. Archibald will be out of town this weekend so he joked that I either need to go into labor on Thursday or wait until Monday! :)

We are scheduled for an appointment on Tuesday of next week and will see where we're at with contractions and dilation. If there isn't a change from where things stand today, we'll start the process of inducing labor. I was happy to find out that if induction is necessary, we'll start with a non-drug ripening of the cervix. I had assumed that induction would most likely mean that I would have to be on pitocin, so I was very happy to hear otherwise. The plan doesn't sound the least bit fun or comfortable, but if I'm still pregnant on Tuesday, I'm sure I'll be ready for it!

Here's to Baby C deciding to arrive on his own sometime in the next few days. My aunt Sharon has moved home from Utah, and we are so happy to have her here. I think the baby has been holding out until everyone arrived, so now the party can start. Vinnie's Uncle Nino has been requesting that the baby arrive on his birthday, which is the 19th, so it's possible that he is to blame. Vinnie said the baby is a procrastinator like his father, but maybe he just likes to make an entrance like his mother... Regardless, we are happy to know that he is healthy and strong and we are excited to meet him soon. Everyone think happy thoughts for us that include contractions, please!

1 comment:

  1. I am for sure thinking happy thoughts! Well they might be painful thoughts if were talking contractions here...

    ReplyDelete